NH 29 to remain closed for a week
Kohima: The National Highway-29 connecting Kohima and Imphal would remain closed for a week from August 2, 2013.
Commander of 15 Border Road Task Force (BRTF) Col Tejpal Singh today informed the public and commuters that the highway NH-29 will be completely closed for about a week in order to enable Border Road Organisations (BRO) to fully concentrate on restoration works at the landslide area in Phesama village, below Kisama.
Incessant monsoon rain completely washed away about 200 meters of the NH-29 on July 12 last disrupting the flow traffic. However, the active initiation of BRTF along with support from volunteers of the affected villages -- Phesama and Kigwema restored the road for passage of light vehicles.
Public carriers heading for Manipur state through the NH-29 had been diverted through longer routes.
Col Singh said around 40-50 per cent new alignment work was completed and the remaining would be completed as soon as possible.
He has requested the commuters of the NH-29 to take alternative route to cross the landslide area as no vehicle will be allowed to pass through the area till the repair works are completed.
NH-29 crossing through the affected area is the shortest and convenient route for vehicles heading for neighbouring Manipur state.
Nagaland Chief Ministers Neiphiu Rio physically visited the site along with Roads Bridges Minister and interacted with Col Singh for early restoration of the road.
Manipur Works/Transport Minister Kh Ratankumar had also visited the site on July 24 last and requested the BRTF to repair the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- SC restrains Tamil Nadu Police from arresting expelled AIADMK MP
- Swaraj seeks report from Indian consulate on death of workers
- Pakistan to keep border crossing with Afghanistan shut till apology
- Sheena Bora murder case: Court asks CBI to begin arguments on framing of charges
- 21kg tumor removed from 61-year-old man at Gurgaon hospital