NHPC urges Assam, Arunachal to provide security
Guwahati: National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC) has urged Assam and Arunachal Pradesh governments to provide security for executing the Lower Subansiri Hydro Electric Power Project(LSHEP) whose work has been halted by anti-dam protestors.
NHPC executive director Rakesh said the company is losing an estimated Rs 4 to Rs 5 crore daily since December due to protests and this has escalated the project cost to Rs 10,799.63 crore from the earlier estimates of Rs 6,285.33 crore.
``If construction work can be resumed immediately, the first unit could still be commissioned by December 2015. We have asked both the state governments to provide us with adequate security and they have assured us of necessary steps in this regard,`` he told reporters here Friday night.
Contractor labourers have left the site as there is no work and NHPC is spending considerable money on corporate social responsibility as per norms, he said.
The two-member Thatte committee, set up by Planning Commission, is probing the downstream impact of the project and is expected to submit its report by the month end.
Work at the 2000 MW project being set up at Gerukamukh bordering Assam and Arunachal Pradesh has been halted by anti-dam protests launched by Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS) and other organisations who contend that it would cause large-scale damage to Assam located downstream.
Assam government has, however, maintained that the dam was needed for the development of the state and appropriate measures would be taken to mitigate its impact on the people and environment of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy