NHRC seeks reports on killing of scribe in Imphal
Bhubaneswar: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has sought an independent investigation report from the authorities on the alleged killing of a journalist by police firing in Manipur last month, an activist said here on Saturday.
The NHRC has also directed the Manipur director general of police, district magistrate and Imphal superintendent of police to take appropriate action with regard to the investigation of the case as per guidelines.
The human rights organisation acted on two complaints lodged by New Delhi based human rights activists RH Bansal and Bhubaneswar-based Akhanda.
"The commission has clubbed both the complaints together," Akhanda, one of the complainants and managing trustee of the Odisha based rights organisation India Media Centre (IMC), told a news agency.
The commission has sought magisterial inquiry report, inquest report, post-mortem report along with report of independent investigation, he said.
Thangjam Nanao Singh of Prime Time, a Guwahati-based satellite channel, was killed Thangmeiband area on December 22 afternoon when police opened fire to disperse supporters of the Manipur Film Forum who had allegedly torched a police vehicle.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case