NHRC seeks reports on killing of scribe in Imphal
Bhubaneswar: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has sought an independent investigation report from the authorities on the alleged killing of a journalist by police firing in Manipur last month, an activist said here on Saturday.
The NHRC has also directed the Manipur director general of police, district magistrate and Imphal superintendent of police to take appropriate action with regard to the investigation of the case as per guidelines.
The human rights organisation acted on two complaints lodged by New Delhi based human rights activists RH Bansal and Bhubaneswar-based Akhanda.
"The commission has clubbed both the complaints together," Akhanda, one of the complainants and managing trustee of the Odisha based rights organisation India Media Centre (IMC), told a news agency.
The commission has sought magisterial inquiry report, inquest report, post-mortem report along with report of independent investigation, he said.
Thangjam Nanao Singh of Prime Time, a Guwahati-based satellite channel, was killed Thangmeiband area on December 22 afternoon when police opened fire to disperse supporters of the Manipur Film Forum who had allegedly torched a police vehicle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown