Shillong: The National Investigating Agency
on Sunday "strongly rebutted" a report in a weekly magazine which
alleged that names of seven Assam ministers have been
mentioned in its report on misuse of development funds for the
North Cachar Hills Autonomous Council.
"The report is totally false. We have sent a strong
rebuttal to the Union Home Ministry yesterday," an SP of NIA,
who is investigating the misuse of funds, said here.
He said the agency has not named any minister in its
report as there was no evidence.
"The media report also mentioned that police officials
took huge amounts of money. Nothing of that sort has come to
our knowledge," the official, who was also a part of the
investigating team, said.
The national weekly magazine in its February 7 issue had
carried a report alleging that the names of seven Assam
ministers, including a Congress MP and an MLA and a former
governor, have been mentioned in the NIA`s report on misuse of
development fund for the North Cachar Hills Autonomous Council
(NCHAC), triggering an uproar in the state.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has already shot off a
letter to the magazine on his government`s position regarding
the report alleging involvement of seven state ministers in
the Rs 1,000-crore scam and threatened it with legal action.
Forest minister Rockybul Hussain had yesterday filed a
criminal defamation case against the weekly.
The anti-terror federal agency in November last had filed
a charge sheet in its first case against 14 persons, including
Dima Halam Daogah (J) insurgents and elected members of the
North Cachar Hills Autonomous Council, for allegedly siphoning
off development funds worth crores of rupees for "procurement
of arms and ammunition from foreign arms dealers".
The nexus was unearthed following the arrest of two DHD
(J) members with Rs one crore in cash early last year. The duo,
Phojendra Hojai and Babul Kemprai, admitted before the
Assam police that the cash was handed over to them by the
chief of NCHAC Mohit Hojai for securing arms for the outfit.
The case was subsequently handed over to NIA in June,
considering the inter-state ramifications of the terror
financing network in the Northeast.
Those who have been charge sheeted are chief of DHD (J)
Jewel Garlosa and commander-in-chief of the outfit Niranjan
Hojai, chief of the NCHAC Mohit Hojai (a politician), Mizo
arms dealer Vanlal Chana, Mizo gunrunners Malsawmkimi (a
woman) and George Lawmthang and state social welfare
department deputy director R H Khan among others, the NIA