NIA team to investigate insurgency in Manipur
Imphal: A team of National Investigative Agency (NIA) has arrived in Manipur to investigate cases of various insurgency-related crimes and extortion from general public and officials by various militant outfits.
Official sources said the team led by Additional SP of NIA, Ashim Srivastava arrived on Saturday from Delhi.
The team would look into cases involving activities of different militant outfits besides collecting relevant records and other materials connected with militants.
The team had earlier visited here two-three times to investigate into insurgency-related crimes and extortion of money from the public following the arrest of senior insurgent leaders including the Chairman of the United National Liberation Front (UNLF) R K Meghen last year from a border town of Bihar by the NIA personnel, sources said.
Meghen is still in custody of NIA at Guwahati. Meghen and some senior UNLF members, apprehended by the NIA, had been produced in court more than five times with the agency having sought his custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP comes out in defence of Amitabh's association with second anniversary programme
- Army troops, insurgents exchange gunfire along Manipur-Myanmar border
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims