Nicol Tamang`s wife files habeas corpus petition in HC
Kolkata: The wife of Nicol Tamang, main accused in the murder of All India Gorkha League leader Madan Tamang, on Tuesday filed a habeas corpus petition before the
Calcutta High Court alleging he might have been tortured in custody and died of his injuries.
Prema Tamang filed the petition seeking an independent inquiry into the escape of Nicol from CID custody on August 22 from Pintail village near Siliguri. Prema`s counsel, advocate Sayan De claimed that there were a lot of loopholes in the version of CID of Nicol`s escape from custody in Pintail village, a fortified resort in the foothills of Darjeeling.
Claiming that it was not possible to escape from CID custody given the security arrangements for Nicol, Prema prayed that steps be taken to ascertain what actually happened on the night of August 22.
Madan Tamang was killed on May 10 at the busy Mall in Darjeeling and Gorkha Janmukti Morcha leader Nicol was among the key accused. He was arrested on August 16.
The petitioner claimed that though the CID had not sought his custody initially and sent him to judicial remand, it prayed before the CJM for his custody and got it on August
18 and kept him at Pintail village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- 'Heartbroken' Virat Kohli deletes, then re-posts his sad pic
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what