Nine insurgent groups to lay down arms: Assam CM
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday said nine insurgent groups on ceasefire agreements with the government would lay down arms before the Republic Day.
These groups are Adivasi Cobra Militants of Assam, Birsa
Commando Force, Adivasi National Liberation Army, Kuki
Liberation Army, Kuki Revolutionary Army, United Kuki
Democratic Army, Hmar Peoples Convention, Santhal Tiger Force
and Adivasi Commando Force.
Efforts for peace agreements with other militant groups
now on ceasefire with the government were progressing
positively, Gogoi told reporters here.
The agreement with the United Peoples Democratic
Solidarity was signed and that with the Dima Halam Daogah
(Jewel) was almost complete, he said.
The government was, however, not agreeable to the
underground Karbi Longri National Liberation Front`s demand
for implementation of Article 244(A) for a state within
a state, he said.
Not much progress was made with the pro-talk NDFB as the
government was not in agreement with its demand for a separate
state, he said, adding, efforts were on to bring the anti-talk
NDFB to the peace process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers