Nine insurgent groups to lay down arms: Assam CM
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday said nine insurgent groups on ceasefire agreements with the government would lay down arms before the Republic Day.
These groups are Adivasi Cobra Militants of Assam, Birsa
Commando Force, Adivasi National Liberation Army, Kuki
Liberation Army, Kuki Revolutionary Army, United Kuki
Democratic Army, Hmar Peoples Convention, Santhal Tiger Force
and Adivasi Commando Force.
Efforts for peace agreements with other militant groups
now on ceasefire with the government were progressing
positively, Gogoi told reporters here.
The agreement with the United Peoples Democratic
Solidarity was signed and that with the Dima Halam Daogah
(Jewel) was almost complete, he said.
The government was, however, not agreeable to the
underground Karbi Longri National Liberation Front`s demand
for implementation of Article 244(A) for a state within
a state, he said.
Not much progress was made with the pro-talk NDFB as the
government was not in agreement with its demand for a separate
state, he said, adding, efforts were on to bring the anti-talk
NDFB to the peace process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan ups ante, says will ask UNHRC to send fact-finding team to Kashmir
- Hafiz Saeed confirms his association with separatist leader Asiya Andrabi, Burhani Wani
- IMF expresses confidence in Christine Lagarde as French court orders trial
- Petition in Pak court seeks registration of FIR against PM Modi
- HC junks Vodafone plea against IT demand of over Rs 7.5 crore