Nine insurgent groups to lay down arms: Assam CM
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday said nine insurgent groups on ceasefire agreements with the government would lay down arms before the Republic Day.
These groups are Adivasi Cobra Militants of Assam, Birsa
Commando Force, Adivasi National Liberation Army, Kuki
Liberation Army, Kuki Revolutionary Army, United Kuki
Democratic Army, Hmar Peoples Convention, Santhal Tiger Force
and Adivasi Commando Force.
Efforts for peace agreements with other militant groups
now on ceasefire with the government were progressing
positively, Gogoi told reporters here.
The agreement with the United Peoples Democratic
Solidarity was signed and that with the Dima Halam Daogah
(Jewel) was almost complete, he said.
The government was, however, not agreeable to the
underground Karbi Longri National Liberation Front`s demand
for implementation of Article 244(A) for a state within
a state, he said.
Not much progress was made with the pro-talk NDFB as the
government was not in agreement with its demand for a separate
state, he said, adding, efforts were on to bring the anti-talk
NDFB to the peace process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside