Nine killed, over 5,000 displaced in Meghalaya floods
Shillong: Two more persons were killed on Wednesday and another was said to be missing in flash floods and
landslides triggered by unprecedented rainfall here, taking
the toll to nine, official sources said today.
23-year-old Jarbish Sangma was swept away by flood
waters in Selsella, while 66-year-old Abinash Marak died in
One person was missing in Tura and believed to have been
swept away, Deputy Commissioner Sanjay Goyal said.
Over 5,000 people - around 3,000 in Selsella area and
2,000 in Garobadha area - were displaced as the Ganol and
Jinjiram rivers overflowed, inundating large tracts of
inhabited and cultivated lands in West Garo Hills district
after breaching their embankments, sources said.
Six relief camps have been set up at Garobadha,
Rangatpara, Garodoba, Hariogaon, Mukdagre and Sankargiri and
about 2,000 persons have been provided shelter there, a
government statement said.
The district administration will be releasing rice, dal
and salt for the affected people, Goyal said.
An amount of Rs 30 lakh from the Calamity Relief Fund
has already been placed with the Deputy Commissioner as
advance to meet the contingency.
An additional amount of Rs 10 lakh is being released to
enable the District Administration to organise effective
relief to all the affected areas and people, the statement
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!