Nine killed, over 5,000 displaced in Meghalaya floods
Shillong: Two more persons were killed on Wednesday and another was said to be missing in flash floods and
landslides triggered by unprecedented rainfall here, taking
the toll to nine, official sources said today.
23-year-old Jarbish Sangma was swept away by flood
waters in Selsella, while 66-year-old Abinash Marak died in
One person was missing in Tura and believed to have been
swept away, Deputy Commissioner Sanjay Goyal said.
Over 5,000 people - around 3,000 in Selsella area and
2,000 in Garobadha area - were displaced as the Ganol and
Jinjiram rivers overflowed, inundating large tracts of
inhabited and cultivated lands in West Garo Hills district
after breaching their embankments, sources said.
Six relief camps have been set up at Garobadha,
Rangatpara, Garodoba, Hariogaon, Mukdagre and Sankargiri and
about 2,000 persons have been provided shelter there, a
government statement said.
The district administration will be releasing rice, dal
and salt for the affected people, Goyal said.
An amount of Rs 30 lakh from the Calamity Relief Fund
has already been placed with the Deputy Commissioner as
advance to meet the contingency.
An additional amount of Rs 10 lakh is being released to
enable the District Administration to organise effective
relief to all the affected areas and people, the statement
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar