No controversy on permission to Hazare rally: Gogoi
Guwahati: There was no controversy
regarding permission given to anti-corruption activist Anna
Hazare to address a rally at Judges Field here on May 3,
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said on Friday.
"Reports about the controversy are false. He (Hazare)
can have his meeting anywhere. Why should I object?" Gogoi
told reporters here.
"I welcome him to Assam and we support his crusade
against corruption. That is why our (Congress) government at
the Centre formed a committee to draft the Lokpal Bill", he
Gogoi also wanted the corporate houses to be brought
under the Lokpal Bill.
Asked to comment on corruption in the state, he said
measures had been taken to check it and out of 37 cases in the
state he had recommended 17 of them for CBI inquiry.
On the various mafia syndicates for coal, fish,
vegetables and others in the state, the chief minister
said he was against it and during his tenure syndicates have
decreased though still in existence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands