No controversy on permission to Hazare rally: Gogoi
Guwahati: There was no controversy
regarding permission given to anti-corruption activist Anna
Hazare to address a rally at Judges Field here on May 3,
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said on Friday.
"Reports about the controversy are false. He (Hazare)
can have his meeting anywhere. Why should I object?" Gogoi
told reporters here.
"I welcome him to Assam and we support his crusade
against corruption. That is why our (Congress) government at
the Centre formed a committee to draft the Lokpal Bill", he
Gogoi also wanted the corporate houses to be brought
under the Lokpal Bill.
Asked to comment on corruption in the state, he said
measures had been taken to check it and out of 37 cases in the
state he had recommended 17 of them for CBI inquiry.
On the various mafia syndicates for coal, fish,
vegetables and others in the state, the chief minister
said he was against it and during his tenure syndicates have
decreased though still in existence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot