No controversy on permission to Hazare rally: Gogoi
Guwahati: There was no controversy
regarding permission given to anti-corruption activist Anna
Hazare to address a rally at Judges Field here on May 3,
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said on Friday.
"Reports about the controversy are false. He (Hazare)
can have his meeting anywhere. Why should I object?" Gogoi
told reporters here.
"I welcome him to Assam and we support his crusade
against corruption. That is why our (Congress) government at
the Centre formed a committee to draft the Lokpal Bill", he
Gogoi also wanted the corporate houses to be brought
under the Lokpal Bill.
Asked to comment on corruption in the state, he said
measures had been taken to check it and out of 37 cases in the
state he had recommended 17 of them for CBI inquiry.
On the various mafia syndicates for coal, fish,
vegetables and others in the state, the chief minister
said he was against it and during his tenure syndicates have
decreased though still in existence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation