No more wild animals for New Year feast in Mizoram village
Aizawl: The residents of Mizoram-Myanmar
border village Kawlbem, who used to organised New Year
community feasts only with wild animals, have feasted on
domestic animals for first time this year.
Range Officer of Environment and Forest department`s
Lengteng Forest Range said the change of habit came after the
department made an appeal to the people.
The villagers have never had New Year community feasts
without a wild animal since 1982.
The village of 268 houses and a population of 1,650
has five churches - Presbyterian Church, United Penticostal
Church, Evangelical Baptist Convention, Assembly of God Church
and Catholic Church - which celebrated New Year separately.
"Each church would appoint hunters to kill wild
animals for the community feasts and there was no dearth of
wild boars, barking deer, deer and other animals," village
council President H Thanglura said.
The village lies near Lengteng Wildlife Sanctuary
where assortment of wild animals are found and Thanglura
claimed that wild animals inside the sanctuary are not killed.
"They decided to organise feasts with domestic animals
this time after appeals from state Environment and Forest
department," he said.
State environment and forests minister H Rohluna, who
was inducted in the government in December 2008, hails from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested