No nominations filed for Mizoram Assembly polls till now
Aizawl: No nominations have been filed so far for the coming 40-member Mizoram Assembly elections scheduled for November 25, even as the filing of nominations started from Friday last.
State Joint Chief Electoral Officer H Lalengmawia told a news agency that no nomination has been received till 3pm today.
The filing of nominations will continue till November 8, he said.
Meanwhile, the ruling Congress has announced its candidates for 40 seats with 31 seats to be contested by sitting legislators and Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla contesting from two seats - his home turf Serchhip as well as from the Hrangturzo constituency, now being held by Mizoram People`s Conference (MPC).
There were five new faces while veteran politicians like former speaker Hiphei and former chief executive member of the Lai Autonomous District Council C Ngunlianchunga also in the fray.
Opposition Mizo National Front (MNF), MPC and Maraland Democratic Front (MDF) forging a pre-poll alliance under the banner of Mizoram Democratic Alliance (MDA) had announced 12 candidates and other 28 names would be announced tomorrow.
The Zoram Nationalist Party (ZNP) would also announce its candidates tomorrow while the BJP, which would contest 11 seats, has already announced its candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter