No `politics of vote` in Assam, says Varun Gandhi
Guwahati: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) kicked off its campaign for next year`s assembly elections in Assam, with MP Varun Gandhi claiming his party would desist from indulging in politics for votes.
"We are not fighting against the Congress o0r the AGP (Asom Gana Parishad) but instead fighting against poverty, corruption and for the well being of the downtrodden," Gandhi, the newly appointed election head in Assam, told a public rally in Doomdoma in eastern Assam.
Gandhi is on a three-day visit to Assam and is scheduled to address at least a dozen public meetings across the state.
"We are here to seek confidence votes rather than politics of vote. Given a mandate, the BJP would take the state ahead by 100 years," the young MP said amid thunderous applause from the nearly 5,000 strong crowd.
Assembly polls are due in Assam in about three to four months from now, with the BJP likely to fight the elections alone.
"We are confident of doing very well in the elections as we are focusing on issues relating to the people rather then trying to win the elections with money or muscle power," Gandhi said.
"I would like to see candidates getting ticket not based on their wealth or influence, but those who are interested in working with the commoners at the grassroots."
The AGP had a pre-poll understanding with the BJP in the 2001 assembly polls and again in the parliamentary election of last year.
The AGP-BJP combine was routed by the Congress in 2001, while in the parliamentary election the AGP fared poorly although the BJP managed to up its tally at the expense of the regional party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy