No split, Rajkhowa in frequent touch with Baruah: ULFA
Guwahati: There was no split in the ULFA as its `chairman` Arabinda Rajkhowa and elusive `commander-in-chief` Paresh Baruah were in frequent contact with each other, the proscribed group said on Saturday.
"There is no division in the ULFA. Paresh Baruah is still our commander-in-chief," ULFA `vice-chairman` Pradip Gogoi told reporters here.
Supporting him, ULFA `foreign secretary` Sasadhar
Choudhury said Rajkhowa was in frequent touch with Baruah.
The ULFA would have its first round of talks with the
Centre on February 10 in New Delhi.
"There is only communication gap with some of our
leaders and cadres. We have not been able to contact them to
inform them about the resolution of our central executive
committee and the general council to go for unconditional
peace talks with the government," said Gogoi.
"Unless and until he (Baruah) has formally rejected
the resolution taken by our central executive committee and
general council, ULFA has to say he is the c-in-c," Choudhury
When pointed out that Baruah recently sent a video to
the media here reiterating ULFA`s demand for sovereignty of
Assam at a time when they were going for unconditional talks,
he said, "The video was shot before the resolution was adopted
for the peace talks."
However, within hours of the press conference by top
ULFA leaders, its hardline faction said it would continue its
struggle till "attainment of Assam`s sovereignty".
In an e-mail to the media, a leader of the hardliners
Arunuday Dohotia said, "We are ready to take any measures for
"If tomorrow our `c-in-c` (Paresh Baruah) will say
that Assam`s sovereignty is an impossible task, then he too
will be expelled from ULFA."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- After Kejriwal's dramatic video message, sacked AAP minister claims his life under threat from Delhi CM
- Ruthlessness and positive the key to success in bowling: Ishant Sharma
- Telangana: suspension of 11 lower court judges revoked
- Aung San Suu Kyi keen to visit India
- Badal acquired land for construction of SYL: Amarinder