No trace yet of kidnapped Meghalaya legislator`s brother
Shillong: The whereabouts of the brother of a Meghalaya legislator kidnapped by Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) rebels are still unknown, four days since the abduction.
On Jan 30, four armed GNLA rebels abducted Naga M. Sangma, 39, the younger brother of Independent legislator Samuel M. Sangma, at gunpoint from his house in the Gasuapara area in South Garo Hills, about 180 km from the state capital.
"We don`t know the whereabouts of Sangma, but rescue operations are on," Abraham Sangma, the district police official of South Garo Hills, told IANS.
Combat Battalion for Resolute Action (CoBRA) and Meghalaya`s Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) commandos have been pressed into service to trace the hostage.
Naga is also a coal exporter to Bangladesh from Gasuapara Land Custom Station, about 400 km from Shillong, the state capital of Meghalaya.
Intelligence officials said Naga is still being held in captivity by the GNLA rebels in the Garo Hills region. The rebel outfit had demanded a ransom of Rs.20 lakh for his safe release.
"Naga is very much in Garo Hills and the rebels are negotiating the ransom with his family members," the intelligence official said, on condition of anonymity.
The GNLA had earlier slapped extortion demands ranging from Rs.5 lakh to Rs.1 crore on petrol pump owners, coal dealers and businessmen in the coal-rich districts of the Garo Hills.
The outfit, outlawed by the central government, is fighting for a separate Garoland in western Meghalaya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'