Normal life hit in Manipur by general strike, curfew clamped
Imphal: Normal life was hit in Manipur on the final day on Thursday of the general strike called to protest against the alleged molestation of a Manipuri film actress by a Naga militant, as curfew was imposed in all four valley districts.
All markets and business houses remained closed while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states and within the state were cancelled, official reports said.
Attendance in government offices was almost nil while banks, educational institutions and other work places remained closed in response to the strike called by various social organisations, including Film Forum Manipur, and some other artistes` associations.
The strike, which resumed at midnight last night after remaining suspended for two days owing to Christmas, will be called off this evening, the organisers said.
However, to protest against the December 18 incident of molestation of Manipuri film actress Momoko and two other artistes, other forms of democratic agitations, including sit-ins, would be held, they said.
Official sources said that the curfew would be lifted at 6 PM when the strike ends.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof