Normal life hit in Manipur by general strike, curfew clamped
Imphal: Normal life was hit in Manipur on the final day on Thursday of the general strike called to protest against the alleged molestation of a Manipuri film actress by a Naga militant, as curfew was imposed in all four valley districts.
All markets and business houses remained closed while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states and within the state were cancelled, official reports said.
Attendance in government offices was almost nil while banks, educational institutions and other work places remained closed in response to the strike called by various social organisations, including Film Forum Manipur, and some other artistes` associations.
The strike, which resumed at midnight last night after remaining suspended for two days owing to Christmas, will be called off this evening, the organisers said.
However, to protest against the December 18 incident of molestation of Manipuri film actress Momoko and two other artistes, other forms of democratic agitations, including sit-ins, would be held, they said.
Official sources said that the curfew would be lifted at 6 PM when the strike ends.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1