Normalcy returns to Manipur valley
Imphal: Normalcy returned to Manipur valley on Tuesday following suspension of ongoing `indefinite general strike` till December 26 midnight, called against the alleged molestation of a film actress by a Naga militant and lifting of indefinite curfew in view of the Christmas festival.
Markets opened and transporters resumed their services as people in large number turned out to purchase essentials at various markets across the four valley districts of Imphal East, Imphal West, Bishenpur and Thoubal.
The curfew was lifted at 6 AM this morning and general strike suspended from midnight of December 24 to midnight December 26 in view of the Christmas festival, official sources said.
Large scale violence was reported yesterday in view of the confusion among some of the strike enforcers with a section maintaining the shutdown was on despite the President of the Film Forum Manipur (FFM) and some other artists associations announcing the relaxation of the strike in view of the Christmas, the sources said.
FFM sources threatened to resume the general strike from midnight of December 26 till the arrest of the Naga militant of NSCN-IM, who had allegedly molested film actress Momoko during a musical concert on December 18 at Chandel and fired at two artists who tried to save her.
The curfew had been imposed in four valley districts since 11 am yesterday following widespread violence as people protested the killing of a photojournalist Thangjam Dwijamani alias Nanao Singh in police firing when he was covering the general strike on Sunday.
The sources said an understanding has been reached between the government and joint action committee (JAC) formed by local residents of the locality of the photojournalist under which the government would order a proper enquiry to find out the culprits and punish them, compensate the victims and take steps to stop recurrence such incidents in future.
The photojournalist, an active member of the All Manipur Working Journalists Union was earlier working for Guwahati-based `Prime News` Channel, besides contributing pictures and stories to Doordarshan from time to time.
Meanwhile, hill-based United Naga Council (UNC) said in a statement that it has called a 72-hour bandh in `Naga areas` of the state from the December 26 midnight.
They alleged some tribals were attacked by supporters of the general strike during relaxation of the strike yesterday.
The statement did not cite any specific incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp