North eastern state capitals on Railway network
Agartala: To adhere to the mandate of North-East Vision 2020, all the state capitals of the North eastern states, except Sikkim, would be connected with the
country’s mainstream railways by 2017, Railway sources said.
"Assam and Tripura is already connected and the others
like Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram and
Nagaland will be connected by 2017, but Sikkim is not included
in this project. This project was envisaged to implement the
proposals of the North East Vision 2020 formulated by North
Eastern Council", Northeast Frontier Railways (NFR) general
manager (Construction) Vijaya Kanth told reporters yesterday.
"It is a major challenge for NF Railways. Lot of tunnels
need to be constructed to fulfil the target as the region is
mountanious", she said.
The GM who attended a review meeting with Chief Minister
Manik Sarkar and Chief Secretary SK Panda at Civil Secretariat
here yesterday said the stretch between Lumding in Assam to
Agartala would be converted into Broad Gauge (BG) by 2013
"Insurgency has come down considerably in the NC Hill
region in Assam but frequent bandh often foils the momentum of
the construction work", she said.
On the review meeting, the GM said that progress of the
existing rail projects in Tripura came up for discussion.
While the Agartala-Udaipur rail link is scheduled to be
completed by 2012, another project- Agartala-Sabaroom will be
executed by 2014 next, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Memorial for India's 'missile man': Naidu, Parrikar unveil statue of APJ Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram
- Aamir Khan turns host for team 'Dangal'!
- No curfew in Srinagar, continues in south Kashmir
- Cockroach milk – The next big 'superfood' and a fantastic protein supplement?
- NASA explains the case of Ceres' missing large craters- Watch the video!