North eastern state capitals on Railway network
Agartala: To adhere to the mandate of North-East Vision 2020, all the state capitals of the North eastern states, except Sikkim, would be connected with the
country’s mainstream railways by 2017, Railway sources said.
"Assam and Tripura is already connected and the others
like Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram and
Nagaland will be connected by 2017, but Sikkim is not included
in this project. This project was envisaged to implement the
proposals of the North East Vision 2020 formulated by North
Eastern Council", Northeast Frontier Railways (NFR) general
manager (Construction) Vijaya Kanth told reporters yesterday.
"It is a major challenge for NF Railways. Lot of tunnels
need to be constructed to fulfil the target as the region is
mountanious", she said.
The GM who attended a review meeting with Chief Minister
Manik Sarkar and Chief Secretary SK Panda at Civil Secretariat
here yesterday said the stretch between Lumding in Assam to
Agartala would be converted into Broad Gauge (BG) by 2013
"Insurgency has come down considerably in the NC Hill
region in Assam but frequent bandh often foils the momentum of
the construction work", she said.
On the review meeting, the GM said that progress of the
existing rail projects in Tripura came up for discussion.
While the Agartala-Udaipur rail link is scheduled to be
completed by 2012, another project- Agartala-Sabaroom will be
executed by 2014 next, she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket