`Northeast development expedited restoration of peace`
Agartala: With the development of infrastructure in the north eastern region of the country including Tripura and Mizoram, the process for restoration of peace has been expedited, a senior Army official said on Saturday.
General Officer Commanding (GOC), 3 Core based in Dimapur, Lt Gen AK Sahni said, "a considerable development of infrastructure has taken place in the region which has paved the way for restoration of peace and development".
Sahni, who came to Tripura on a two-day visit, met Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and visited many far flung areas of the state and the international border with Bangladesh.
"There has been a lot of improvement along the border and over all development in the state is good. The law and order has improved and militancy has subsided", he told reporters at the Agartala airport on his way back to Dimapur.
Referring to the massive arms haul at Aizawl few days back, Sahni reiterated Assam Rifles`s official standpoint that the firearms came from Myanmar.
"Initial inputs achieved during interrogation tell that the arms came from Myanmar", he said.
Asked about progress of barbed wire fencing at Indo-Myanmar border, he said,"Total fencing doesn`t happen in Indo-Myanmar border like what we see here in the Indo-Bangladesh border.
People from both sides have free access upto 8 km on both sides of the border there.
Anyway, certain mode of selective fencing has started in the Indo-Myanmar border, especially close to the International land custom stations.
"The Government of Myanmar has assured to take action against terrorist forces on their soil as well. A recent arms haul of a hundred weapons at Tamu, which came somewhere from China or Thailand is a testimony of their cooperation", he said.
To a question, he said, the situation in China border in Arunachala Pradesh was stable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state