`Northeast development expedited restoration of peace`
Agartala: With the development of infrastructure in the north eastern region of the country including Tripura and Mizoram, the process for restoration of peace has been expedited, a senior Army official said on Saturday.
General Officer Commanding (GOC), 3 Core based in Dimapur, Lt Gen AK Sahni said, "a considerable development of infrastructure has taken place in the region which has paved the way for restoration of peace and development".
Sahni, who came to Tripura on a two-day visit, met Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and visited many far flung areas of the state and the international border with Bangladesh.
"There has been a lot of improvement along the border and over all development in the state is good. The law and order has improved and militancy has subsided", he told reporters at the Agartala airport on his way back to Dimapur.
Referring to the massive arms haul at Aizawl few days back, Sahni reiterated Assam Rifles`s official standpoint that the firearms came from Myanmar.
"Initial inputs achieved during interrogation tell that the arms came from Myanmar", he said.
Asked about progress of barbed wire fencing at Indo-Myanmar border, he said,"Total fencing doesn`t happen in Indo-Myanmar border like what we see here in the Indo-Bangladesh border.
People from both sides have free access upto 8 km on both sides of the border there.
Anyway, certain mode of selective fencing has started in the Indo-Myanmar border, especially close to the International land custom stations.
"The Government of Myanmar has assured to take action against terrorist forces on their soil as well. A recent arms haul of a hundred weapons at Tamu, which came somewhere from China or Thailand is a testimony of their cooperation", he said.
To a question, he said, the situation in China border in Arunachala Pradesh was stable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali