`Northeast development expedited restoration of peace`
Agartala: With the development of infrastructure in the north eastern region of the country including Tripura and Mizoram, the process for restoration of peace has been expedited, a senior Army official said on Saturday.
General Officer Commanding (GOC), 3 Core based in Dimapur, Lt Gen AK Sahni said, "a considerable development of infrastructure has taken place in the region which has paved the way for restoration of peace and development".
Sahni, who came to Tripura on a two-day visit, met Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and visited many far flung areas of the state and the international border with Bangladesh.
"There has been a lot of improvement along the border and over all development in the state is good. The law and order has improved and militancy has subsided", he told reporters at the Agartala airport on his way back to Dimapur.
Referring to the massive arms haul at Aizawl few days back, Sahni reiterated Assam Rifles`s official standpoint that the firearms came from Myanmar.
"Initial inputs achieved during interrogation tell that the arms came from Myanmar", he said.
Asked about progress of barbed wire fencing at Indo-Myanmar border, he said,"Total fencing doesn`t happen in Indo-Myanmar border like what we see here in the Indo-Bangladesh border.
People from both sides have free access upto 8 km on both sides of the border there.
Anyway, certain mode of selective fencing has started in the Indo-Myanmar border, especially close to the International land custom stations.
"The Government of Myanmar has assured to take action against terrorist forces on their soil as well. A recent arms haul of a hundred weapons at Tamu, which came somewhere from China or Thailand is a testimony of their cooperation", he said.
To a question, he said, the situation in China border in Arunachala Pradesh was stable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam