Northeast on high alert on Aug 15
Agartala: The central government has alerted the northeastern states about possible militant strikes in the run-up to Independence Day celebrations on Wednesday.
"Central intelligence wings and the union home ministry have alerted the state governments in northeastern states to keep a strict vigil in the run-up to Independence Day and thwart any attempt of separatist outfits to create violence," Tripura`s inspector general of police Nepal Das told IANS.
He said: "Both the central and state governments have also asked the Border Security Force (BSF) to tighten security along the India-Bangladesh border to prevent trans-border movement of militants."
"Central para-military personnel, accompanied by bomb disposal units and dog squads, continued their search operations at airports, hotels, bus terminals, major markets and national highways," Das said.
Four northeastern states -- Tripura, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Assam -- share a 1,880 km border with Bangladesh, while India and Bhutan share a 643 km unfenced border.
In a separate directive, the director general of civil aviation has asked airport authorities to tighten the vigil in and around all airports in northeastern states.
"Entry of people inside airport terminal buildings, excluding aircraft passengers, has been barred till Aug 20. Several other security measures have also been taken in and around airports," Airport Authority of India director S.D. Barman said.
Seven separatist outfits -- including the anti-talk faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) -- of Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, and Tripura have called a 17-hour general strike from midnight of Tuesday and boycott of Independence Day celebrations.
"We are fighting against colonial India and for this obligation of national sovereignty, we will fight for it to the end," a joint statement of militant groups said.
Signed by ULFA`s publicity secretary Arunudoy Asom, the statement, e-mailed to media organisations, said: "The Indian government is trying to lure the people and the freedom fighters as well in the name of peace talks with the so-called Indian mainstream."
"We have experienced futile promises of the governments in Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura, etc. and the present process of peace talks in Assam and Nagaland is nothing but dilly-dallying to our struggle of national self-determination," it added.
However, police authorities in the northeastern states said they are not aware of any such boycott call.
The Northeast Frontier Railway has also decided to cancel and reschedule all night trains through Assam and Tripura until Aug 17 for security reasons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’