Northeast railway projects will be delayed
Agartala: Due to lack of funds, several national railway projects in southern Assam, Tripura and other northeastern states would be delayed by a year, an official said here on Saturday.
"Railway officials at a meeting here told Tripura government (officials) that the gauge conversion works, extension of railway lines in southern Assam, Tripura and other northeastern states would be delayed by a year due to scarcity of funds," a Tripura official told reporters.
Quoting the railway officials, he said: "Now the gauge conversion works between Lumding (200 km north of Assam`s main city of Guwahati)-Agartala, Agartala-Sabroom (in southern Tripura) railway extension and other railway projects would be completed in March 2015, instead of March 2014."
The foundation stone for conversion of Lumding-Agartala metre-gauge track to broad-gauge was laid by then prime minister HD Deve Gowda in January 1996.
The cost of the project has now mounted to Rs 2,800 crore from Rs 648 crore in 1996.
The broad-gauge railway line from Guwahati passes through Lumding (in Assam`s Nagaon district) which connects Tripura`s capital Agartala and parts of Manipur, Mizoram and southern Assam with the rest of India by a single 109-year-old metre-gauge railway track.
Tripura Transport Minister Manik Dey said the gauge conversion work had started in 1996 beyond Lumding and Prime Minister Manmohan singh had declared it along with other nine projects as a national project many years back but progress of work is very slow due to various problems, including funds crisis and law and order in the region.
A meeting between the Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, North East Frontier Railway (NFR) Lumding Divisional Manager Rakesh Goel and Chief Administrative Officer AS Garur was held here Saturday to review the on-going railway projects in the region.
According to the Tripura government official, the NFR officials told the meeting that a two-day meeting of the steering committee of the officials of India and Bangladesh would be held in Dhaka May 21-22 to expedite the work to set up a railway link between Tripura capital Agartala and Bangladesh`s southeastern city of Akhaurah.
India and Bangladesh had signed a memorandum of understanding on Feb 16 in Dhaka to set up the new railway link between the two countries.
At a cost of Rs.271 crore, India will build a 15-km railway track linking Agartala with Akhaura which is an important railway junction connected to the Chittagong international port, resource-rich Sylhet and Dhaka.
Out of the 15-km rail line, 5-km of track falls in the Indian territory and the remaining in Bangladesh.
Tripura chief minister requested the railway officials to accelerate the gauge conversion, new railway line set up works after managing the funds from the central government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India