Northeast requires policies in tune with topography: Rio
Kohima: Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio has said that the north eastern region requires policies in tune with its topography and social profile.
"Landslides keep occurring in the region disrupting vital lifelines for months besides causing loss of life, destruction of infrastructure, damage to land and loss of natural resources," Rio told a function in Dimapur yesterday.
Another area of concern in Nagaland was the devastation caused by forest fire with recent being at the Mount Japf near Kohima which destroyed an area of about 50 acres, he said.
Reminding the gathering of the 1897 Shillong earthquake that clocked 8.7 on the Richter scale causing intensive damage to property and more than a thousand death, he said if an earthquake of similar intensity were to strike the region today, it would be disastrous.
Policymakers should take into account all these features of the region, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar