Northeast requires policies in tune with topography: Rio
Kohima: Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio has said that the north eastern region requires policies in tune with its topography and social profile.
"Landslides keep occurring in the region disrupting vital lifelines for months besides causing loss of life, destruction of infrastructure, damage to land and loss of natural resources," Rio told a function in Dimapur yesterday.
Another area of concern in Nagaland was the devastation caused by forest fire with recent being at the Mount Japf near Kohima which destroyed an area of about 50 acres, he said.
Reminding the gathering of the 1897 Shillong earthquake that clocked 8.7 on the Richter scale causing intensive damage to property and more than a thousand death, he said if an earthquake of similar intensity were to strike the region today, it would be disastrous.
Policymakers should take into account all these features of the region, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi