Northeast security scene continues to be complex, says PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday said that though much progress had been made in dialogue with insurgent groups in the northeast, the security situation there continues to be complex.
“The security situation in the northeast continues to be complex, with insurgency, extortion and agitations being the main disruptive elements in the hands of the insurgents,” Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said here while addressing the Chief Ministers` Conference on internal security.
The prime minister said that the government was committed to dialogue as the route to seek a solution for all issues within the framework of the constitution. He added that the centre would assist the northeastern states in enhancing their law and order enforcement capabilities, so the region could enjoy the benefits of democracy and development.
“We are committed to undertaking, and bringing to a satisfactory conclusion, dialogue with all groups and organisations willing to give up violence to seek solutions within the framework of our constitution”, the prime minister said.
The prime minister said: "There has been considerable progress in dialogue with several insurgent and ethnic separatist groups in the northeast region.”
The conference was told that talks were continuing with the with National Socialist Council of Nagaland, and a memorandum of understanding (MoU) has been signed with both factions of Dima Halam Daogah of Dima Hasao in Assam.
An MoU was also signed with three Metei insurgent groups in Manipur in February 2013.
The Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) was set up as an autonomous body in August 2012 to administer the Gorkhaland region and ensure its all-round development.
The centre is committed to providing financial assistance of Rs.200 crore per annum for three years for projects aimed at developing the socio-economic infrastructure in the GTA areas, the prime minister told the chief ministers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters