Nothing specific for NE in budget, says Meghalaya CM
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma on Thursday expressed disappointment with the general budget saying there was no investment strategy to promote trade and commerce with other countries in the North East region.
"As far as North East is concerned we have challenges. That is something missing (in the budget)," Sangma said adding it was `depressing` as the state government had many times asked the Centre to address this issue.
International boundaries of conflicts in the region have to be transformed into boundaries of prosperity through trade and commerce to get rid of many problems including militancy, he said.
The chief minister suggested that NDA government take into account the policies adopted by the UPA regime and come up with aggressive investment strategies to address this concern and promote trade and commerce with other countries.
"Trade and commerce creates positive environment, not only from economic perspective but also from geo political aspects to create a peaceful neighbourhood," he said.
There were indication that sophisticated arms seized from Maoists came from across the international border in the north east, Sangma said.
"There must be a transparent mechanism to be adopted by the government in taking up programme in consultation with the state governments in the North East to ensure that accumulated funds will be made known to the state," he said.
Though the budget has generated lots of promises, the Chief Minister said "there is nothing specific to NE to give us the kind of comprehension that we need to have."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city