NPCC receives jolt as Congress stalwart resigns
Kohima: Ahead of the February 23 Assembly polls, the Nagaland Pradesh Congress Committee (NPCC) received a major jolt after Congress stalwart and former state party president, Chingwang Konyak, resigned from the party and decided to campaign for the ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF).
The veteran Congress leader, officially resigned from the party on January 30, citing frustrations and disappointment due to the lack of unity and cohesion in the NPCC.
However, NPCC president SI Jamir told a news agency that they were yet to receive any resignation letter from Konyak.
Konyak had served the party as its state president, vice president, Congress legislative party leader and was also a Member of Parliament from Nagaland in the 1970s.
Resigning from the Congress after 44 years of association, he, however, remained tight-lipped about joining any other political party.
Thanking the people of the state for their continuous support during all this time, he said, "I have decided to resign from the membership of the Indian National Congress Party which, I nurtured since its inception in the state."
"I have come to this difficult decision as I am frustrated and disappointed by the lack of unity and cohesion in the Nagaland Congress Party which is a divided House, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate