NPP demands Meghalaya CM`s resignation
Shillong: The National People`s Party (NPP) Wednesday demanded the resignation of Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma over the recent killings and kidnapping by tribal Garo rebels.
Five Meghalaya policemen and two Border Security Force (BSF) troopers were killed and four traders abducted by the outlawed Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) and the breakaway faction of the A`chik National Volunteers Council (ANVC-B) within one week.
The whereabouts of the traders are unknown even as the Combat Battalion for Resolute Action (CoBRA) and Meghalaya`s Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) commandos have been pressed into service to trace the hostages.
"There is total breakdown of law and order situation in Garo Hills but the chief minister is blissfully unaware of the entire situation as he is busy globe-trotting," NPP spokesman James Sangma said.
"He (chief minister) has failed the people of the state and he should, therefore, take moral responsibility for what happened. We demand his immediate resignation," he said.
Deputy Chief Minister Rowell Lyngdoh rubbished the NPP demand: "How can they claim there is a breakdown of law and order when the administration is functioning?
"The government`s presence is very much there in Garo Hills and the law enforcing agencies are very much active and hunting down the rebels. Their demand asking for chief minister`s exit doesn`t hold water," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly