NPP raises concern over poor law and order situation
Shillong: NPP leader Conrad K Sangma Monday alleged that deteriorating law and order situation Hills region was affecting the functioning of banking institutions in Garo Hills region.
"Bank branches in Songsak, Samanda, Rongsak Mangsang, Bajengdoba in East Garo Hills and Mindal in North Garo Hills have been closed for several months in view of poor law and order situation there," Conrad said at a press conference.
Urging the state government to take steps to restore and improve the law and order situation in the affected areas, Conrad said, flagship programs like the MGNREGS, IAY and other schemes were getting affected with no banking facilities.
The Leader of the Opposition also alleged human rights violation by security forces in the area.
"There is one particular case in which a pregnant woman was tortured which ultimately led to a miscarriage," Conrad said, adding that he was taking it up with the concerned authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan