NSCN (IM) cadre exchange fire with police, AR personnel
Itanagar: An Assam Rifles personnel was injured in exchange of fire between NSCN (IM) cadre, Assam Rifles and police personnel at Soha village in troubled Tirap district of the state, Tirap SP Vikramjit Singh said on Sunday.
The exchange of fire started late Saturday evening and lasted for about three hours, he said.
Trouble began when the cadre of the rebel outfit allegedly started assaulting medical staff including doctors at Soha after they refused to give extortion money, the SP said.
The medical staff, however, managed to escape from the area.
On receiving the news, the Circle Officer of Soha police station along with few constables rushed to the village, but the road was blocked by heavily armed 50-odd insurgents who directed them to go back.
When the officials refused to return, the insurgents reportedly fired upon them, setting the police vehicle afire and damaging power and electric supply lines, which prompted the police and the Assam Rifles` personnel to retaliate.
An Assam Rifles man suffered minor injuries, he said.
On receiving the report, CRPF personnel rushed to the village, about 27 km from Deomali, as reinforcement, the SP said.
"We don`t have specific information but as per our source, the NSCN cadre numbered around 40 and were heavily armed. Since then reinforcement team from Khonsa has been sent to the area and security forces have launched massive manhunt around the area," the SP added.
Tirap district along with Changlang and Longding are declared disturbed under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!