NSCN-IM owns killing of Naga couple in Manipur
Imphal: Naga militant outfit, NSCN-IM Wednesday owned the responsibility for killing Vareingam Shimray (35) and his wife, Ngaherla in Manipur`s hilly Ukhrul district bordering with Myanmar.
In a statement, NSCN-IM said Shimray was killed for supporting Manipur Naga Revolutionary Front (MNRF) and for `anti-Naga activities.
"The outfit said Ngaherla was killed because she was `too close to her husband` when they opened fire.
Shimray, a respected village leader and was involved in many social activities, was gunned down along with his wife by unknown militants at his home at Lungphu village under Phungyar sub-division on Sunday, official sources said.
Sources also said MNRF was recently formed by some Nagas in Manipur and its avowed aim and object was to protect territorial integrity of Manipur and work for communal harmony
of different ethnic groups in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown