NSCN-IM owns killing of Naga couple in Manipur
Imphal: Naga militant outfit, NSCN-IM Wednesday owned the responsibility for killing Vareingam Shimray (35) and his wife, Ngaherla in Manipur`s hilly Ukhrul district bordering with Myanmar.
In a statement, NSCN-IM said Shimray was killed for supporting Manipur Naga Revolutionary Front (MNRF) and for `anti-Naga activities.
"The outfit said Ngaherla was killed because she was `too close to her husband` when they opened fire.
Shimray, a respected village leader and was involved in many social activities, was gunned down along with his wife by unknown militants at his home at Lungphu village under Phungyar sub-division on Sunday, official sources said.
Sources also said MNRF was recently formed by some Nagas in Manipur and its avowed aim and object was to protect territorial integrity of Manipur and work for communal harmony
of different ethnic groups in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you