NSCN-IM owns killing of Naga couple in Manipur
Imphal: Naga militant outfit, NSCN-IM Wednesday owned the responsibility for killing Vareingam Shimray (35) and his wife, Ngaherla in Manipur`s hilly Ukhrul district bordering with Myanmar.
In a statement, NSCN-IM said Shimray was killed for supporting Manipur Naga Revolutionary Front (MNRF) and for `anti-Naga activities.
"The outfit said Ngaherla was killed because she was `too close to her husband` when they opened fire.
Shimray, a respected village leader and was involved in many social activities, was gunned down along with his wife by unknown militants at his home at Lungphu village under Phungyar sub-division on Sunday, official sources said.
Sources also said MNRF was recently formed by some Nagas in Manipur and its avowed aim and object was to protect territorial integrity of Manipur and work for communal harmony
of different ethnic groups in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah