NSCN (K) militant gunned down in Arunachal Pradesh
Itanagar: A NSCN(K) militant was gunned down by security forces during an encounter in troubled Longding district of Arunachal Pradesh, the police said Wednesday.
The NSCN(K) cadre, identified as Gangsa, a Myanmarese national, was shot dead during a gunbattle at Kanu village on Monday last, Superintendent of Police Ajit Kumar Singla said in a statement today.
One AK-56 Rifle, three magazines and 45 rounds of live ammunition along with mobile handsets and other material were recovered from the possession of the slain ultra, he said.
Acting on a tip-off about the presence of about 12 NSCN (K) cadre in the village, a joint search operation team of First Assam Rifles and Arunachal Pradesh Police was launched to nab the ultras.
When the security forces reached Kanu village, the insurgent outfit started firing on the security forces, which retaliated in self-defence, the statement said.
When the firing stopped, security forces recovered the body.
The other rebels who were also suspected to be Myanmarese nationals fled away, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon