NSF leaders meet Chidambaram, Sushma Swaraj
Kohima: A delegation of the Naga Students` Federation (NSF) met Union Home Minister P Chidambaram in New Delhi and urged him to direct Manipur to withdraw forces from the Naga-inhabitated areas.
The NSF delegation, led by its president Mutsikhoyo Yhobu, yesterday urged the Home Minister to issue necessary directives to the Manipur government to immediately withdraw the Manipur Armed Police personnel from the Naga inhabited areas of the neighbouring state and revoke the arrest warrants issued against some Naga leaders.
While apprising the minister about the prevailing
situation, the student leaders put the onus on the government
of Manipur and the Centre to solve the problem.
Chidambaram asked them to lift the restriction of
movement of Manipur registration vehicles as early as
possible, federation leaders said adding the Home Minister
assured the delegation that he was personally monitoring the
situation and would do whatever was necessary to resolve the
NSF imposed an indefinite blockade of Manipur-bound
vehicles in Naga inhabited areas on May 4 after Manipur police
personnel denied entry to a group of student leaders the
previous day at inter-state Mao gate.
It demanded an apology from Chief Minister Ibobi Singh
and revoking of Section 144 of CrPC and armed police forces
from Naga areas of Manipur.
The student leaders also called on opposition leader
Sushma Swaraj at her office chamber, who also appealed to the
federation to consider calling off the ongoing agitation,
After receiving `a letter of regret` from Manipur
chief secretary, the NSF had recently hinted that it might
consider relaxing of the blockade in a short period since many
organisations has appealed to call off the agitation.
The Manipur government had issued arrest warrants
against the presidents of the All Naga Students` Association
Manipur (ANSAM) and United Naga Council (UNC), Manipur for
imposing indefinite economic blockade on two highways
connecting the state for past two months, resulting in an
acute shortage of essentials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- LeEco Le Max 2: Aiming to outshine rivals with powerful hardware, CDLA technology
- WATCH: How Lionel Messi missed crucial penalty kick in Copa America final against Chile
- When Varun Dhawan, John Abraham came to Jacqueline Fernandez's rescue—Full story inside
- Congress stalwart Sheila Dikhsit refuses to become CM face for 2017 UP elections
- Modi govt shortlists 4 candidates to succeed Raghuram Rajan as RBI Governor