Office picketing by NGOs passes off peacefully
Shillong: The one-day office picketing in four districts of Meghalaya sponsored by influential NGOs opposing government`s enrollment of "dubious" voters passed off peacefully amidst very thin attendances in government offices even as banks remained closed on Monday.
Two companies of BSF personnel were deployed to man "sensitive" government buildings in Shillong city, East Khasi Hills Superintendent of Police A R Mawthoh told a news agency.
Four NGO activists were picked up by the police from Laitumkhrah area of the city early today for disrupting normal life and preventing office goers from going to their respective offices, police said.
There was very thin attendance today in government office and only about 15-20 per cent of the government employees turned up in East Khasi Hills district, while in Ri-Bhoi district the attendance was about 58-60 per cent, official sources said.
The attendance of government employees in West Khasi Hills district and Jaintia Hills was reported to be normal, official sources said.
The NGOs, the Khasi Students Union, the Federation of Khasi Jaintia and Garo People and the Hynniewtrep National Youth Front, had demanded the government to stop election enrollment drives in the four districts including Shillong city in view of the vulnerability of enrollment of "dubious" voters.
An all party meeting has been convened by the government to discuss in the issue of "dubious" voters in Meghalaya on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble