Official unhurt in Manipur grenade explosion
Imphal: A senior Manipur government official was unhurt when a powerful grenade exploded at his house late Monday night in Imphal West district, official sources said on Tuesday.
The militants exploded the grenade at the house of the superintending engineer of Manipur Development Society Salam Rupa Kumar at Tera area on the outskirts of Imphal at around 9 PM, the sources said.
The engineer and his family members were present at the house at the time of the explosion in which a portion of the outhouse was damaged.
The militants escaped under the cover of darkness.
Monetary demand from the official was the reason behind the explosion, the sources said.
In another incident, Manipur government suspended four officials of state public works department, including some senior engineers in connection with the collapse of an under construction bridge at interior Keirao village in Imphal East district of Manipur on February 5 last.
State works minister Kh Ratan Kumar told reporters that an inquiry has been ordered to find out the cause of the collapse.
A show cause notice was served to the contractor, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH