Official unhurt in Manipur grenade explosion
Imphal: A senior Manipur government official was unhurt when a powerful grenade exploded at his house late Monday night in Imphal West district, official sources said on Tuesday.
The militants exploded the grenade at the house of the superintending engineer of Manipur Development Society Salam Rupa Kumar at Tera area on the outskirts of Imphal at around 9 PM, the sources said.
The engineer and his family members were present at the house at the time of the explosion in which a portion of the outhouse was damaged.
The militants escaped under the cover of darkness.
Monetary demand from the official was the reason behind the explosion, the sources said.
In another incident, Manipur government suspended four officials of state public works department, including some senior engineers in connection with the collapse of an under construction bridge at interior Keirao village in Imphal East district of Manipur on February 5 last.
State works minister Kh Ratan Kumar told reporters that an inquiry has been ordered to find out the cause of the collapse.
A show cause notice was served to the contractor, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS