One killed, 1 injured in Assam police firing
Guwahati: A rickshaw puller died and a 10-year-old student was injured on Sunday in an alleged police firing during an encounter with suspected ULFA militants in Assam’s Kamrup (rural) district, officials said.
Two ULFA militants were travelling in a rickshaw pulled by Maniram Rabha when police fired at them, injuring Rabha and a class IV student Deepjyoti Nath,10, they said.
One of the militant, Riaz Ali alias Harekrishna Deka, was nabbed and a hand grenade was seized from his possession, they said.
Both Rabha and Nath were rushed to hospital. While Rabha succumbed to his bullet wounds, Nath was discharged after first aid, they said.
According to the police, the militants were on their way to a gas agency for extortion when they were intercepted.
Police has launched a massive manhunt to nab the other militant who fled during the firing, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed