One killed, 1 injured in Assam police firing
Guwahati: A rickshaw puller died and a 10-year-old student was injured on Sunday in an alleged police firing during an encounter with suspected ULFA militants in Assam’s Kamrup (rural) district, officials said.
Two ULFA militants were travelling in a rickshaw pulled by Maniram Rabha when police fired at them, injuring Rabha and a class IV student Deepjyoti Nath,10, they said.
One of the militant, Riaz Ali alias Harekrishna Deka, was nabbed and a hand grenade was seized from his possession, they said.
Both Rabha and Nath were rushed to hospital. While Rabha succumbed to his bullet wounds, Nath was discharged after first aid, they said.
According to the police, the militants were on their way to a gas agency for extortion when they were intercepted.
Police has launched a massive manhunt to nab the other militant who fled during the firing, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- `IS child bomber` behind Turkey wedding blast, claims President
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon