One killed, 1 injured in Assam police firing
Guwahati: A rickshaw puller died and a 10-year-old student was injured on Sunday in an alleged police firing during an encounter with suspected ULFA militants in Assam’s Kamrup (rural) district, officials said.
Two ULFA militants were travelling in a rickshaw pulled by Maniram Rabha when police fired at them, injuring Rabha and a class IV student Deepjyoti Nath,10, they said.
One of the militant, Riaz Ali alias Harekrishna Deka, was nabbed and a hand grenade was seized from his possession, they said.
Both Rabha and Nath were rushed to hospital. While Rabha succumbed to his bullet wounds, Nath was discharged after first aid, they said.
According to the police, the militants were on their way to a gas agency for extortion when they were intercepted.
Police has launched a massive manhunt to nab the other militant who fled during the firing, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi