One killed in Manipur bomb blast
Imphal: One person was killed in a bomb blast in Manipur`s interior Thoubal district early Monday morning, official sources said.
The bomb allegedly planted by militants to attack security personnel went off this morning at Nongpok Keithelmanbi area under Yairipok police station and a boy who was passing through the area was killed instantly by the splinters of the bomb, the sources said.
Police forces from here have rushed to the spot for an investigation.
The bomb was allegedly planted by militants to attack security personnel as security measures across the valley districts were stepped up in view of the panchayat elections on September 14 next, the sources added.
Official reports from the districts said the militants hurled grenades at the houses of some panchayat candidates in Lamshang area in Imphal west district and yairipok Top area in Thoubal district but no casualty was reported as grenades failed to explode.
Reports said patrolling by security and police forces has also been stepped up different parts of outlying areas in four valley districts of Imphal east, Impha west, Thoubal and Bishnupur as militants might interrupt the forthcoming panchayat polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today