One shot dead in Assam`s Kokrajhar
Guwahati: Ethnic violence continued in lower Assam`s Kokrajhar district claiming the life of a farmer Monday.
With this the violence, which has erupted after a lull of about three months, has claimed three lives since Saturday.
Police said a farmer was gunned down at Bhumka in Gossaigaon area when he was going to his paddy field this morning.
Following the incident, locals and people of neighbouring Banglabari armed with sticks and bows and arrows demonstrated against Bodoland Territorial Administrative Districts (BTAD) administration for allegedly failing to maintain law and order in the area.
Security personnel comprising police, CRPF and other paramilitary forces were rushed to defuse the situation and maintain law and order in the area where tension prevails.
All educational institutions were closed in view of the restless situation in the area, the police said.
On Saturday two persons were killed with one shot dead at Badugaon in Gossaigaon, while a youth was hacked to death in a retaliatory attack at nearby Batlanmara village.
The fresh bout of violence came after a lull of nearly three months in the area which was rocked by ethnic violence between Bodos and Muslims leaving about 90 people dead and lakhs homeless during August-September this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India's doping shame: 687 athletes banned since 2009 as per NADA records
- Know why Radhika Apte couldn’t be a part of ‘Kabali’ promotions
- Biggest Indian acquisition by a Chinese company: Fosun to buy Gland Pharma for $1.26 billion
- Has this former Australian cricketer been approached for ‘Housefull 4’?
- Sri Lanka vs Australia: 1st Test, Day 4 — As it happened...