Oppn protest in Tripura house over `gangrape`
Agartala: Tripura assembly Thursday
witnessed uproarious scenes over the issue of `gangrape` of two tribal women in South Tripura district.
Shortly after the session began, Congress MLA Birajit Sinha demanded a statement from the Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, also in charge of the Home portfolio, on yesterday`s incident at Joykrishnapara under Sabromm police station.
When Speaker Ramendra Nath asked the legislator to
raise the issue in the reference period on the plea that
question hour was a schedule business, the entire opposition
started shouting and thumping desk demanding statement from
the chief minister with leader of opposition Ratan Lal Nath in
At one point of time, they rushed to the well and
began chanting slogan against the chief minister for his
failure to safeguard the women with placards.
Sensing trouble, the Speaker adjourned the House at 11.05. As the House reassembled again at 12.30 pm, the scene was same with opposition demanding resignation of Kumar for his alleged failure to contain crime against women.
The demand, however, led to verbal war between two
sides prompting the Speaker to adjourn the house till 12.15 pm.
When the house re-assembled the chief minister
informed that the House that an FIR has been lodged against
six persons in connection with the case, of which five have
already been arrested.
The opposition bench including Congress MLAs Sudip Roy Barman, Biswabandhu Sen and Subal Bhowik alleged that it was
the failure on the part of Sarkar who holds Home portfolio.
In reply, Sarkar made it clear that the government
would ensure proper investigation into the incident and if any
police officer was found guilty (he) would be punished
But as the opposition continued shouting, the Speaker
again adjourned the house till 2 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Singapore-based company develops robot therapist to help relieve muscle strains
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh chairs high-level meeting in Kashmir
- India, Bangladesh border forces discuss issues in Tripura
- Four hospitals hit by air raids in Syria's Aleppo: Doctors
- China unveils world's largest amphibious aircraft