Opposition parties form Democratic Alliance of Sikkim
Gangtok: Democratic Alliance of Sikkim [DAS], an alliance of national and regional opposition political parties was formally announced on Thursday.
Former MP Nakul Das Rai who was appointed the convener of DAS told a press conference that in view of the present situation in the state an alliance was needed to stand united to restore democracy.
"It was the demand of the people of the state that opposition parties come on one platform to fight against the present dictatorial government. Respecting this demand of the people this alliance has been formed to take up people’s issues," Rai said.
DAS comprises the Sikkim Pradesh Congress Committee [SPCC], Sikkim Himali Rajya Parishad Party [SHRPP], Sikkim Liberation Front [SLF], CPIM and Sikkim Gorkha Prajantantrik Party [SGPP] along with some non-political organizations.
SGPP chief advisor, NB Khatiwara said that the alliance would contest the 2014 Assembly election on a seat sharing basis, but the priority of DAS was to focus on the issues of the state and reach out to the people.
"We have invited dissident SDF MLA, PS Golay to join the alliance. During our recent meeting last week, he said that he will take a decision after the formation of his party in mid January next year," SPCC president, NB Bhandari said.
Meanwhile, BJP state-unit president, Padam Chettri said that he was in talks with senior leaders of the party on joining the alliance.
"The matter will be discussed thoroughly with the central committee of the party, but I extend full support to DAS at an individual level," Chettri said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video