Opposition parties form Democratic Alliance of Sikkim
Gangtok: Democratic Alliance of Sikkim [DAS], an alliance of national and regional opposition political parties was formally announced on Thursday.
Former MP Nakul Das Rai who was appointed the convener of DAS told a press conference that in view of the present situation in the state an alliance was needed to stand united to restore democracy.
"It was the demand of the people of the state that opposition parties come on one platform to fight against the present dictatorial government. Respecting this demand of the people this alliance has been formed to take up people’s issues," Rai said.
DAS comprises the Sikkim Pradesh Congress Committee [SPCC], Sikkim Himali Rajya Parishad Party [SHRPP], Sikkim Liberation Front [SLF], CPIM and Sikkim Gorkha Prajantantrik Party [SGPP] along with some non-political organizations.
SGPP chief advisor, NB Khatiwara said that the alliance would contest the 2014 Assembly election on a seat sharing basis, but the priority of DAS was to focus on the issues of the state and reach out to the people.
"We have invited dissident SDF MLA, PS Golay to join the alliance. During our recent meeting last week, he said that he will take a decision after the formation of his party in mid January next year," SPCC president, NB Bhandari said.
Meanwhile, BJP state-unit president, Padam Chettri said that he was in talks with senior leaders of the party on joining the alliance.
"The matter will be discussed thoroughly with the central committee of the party, but I extend full support to DAS at an individual level," Chettri said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark