Over 300 school students hospitalised after consuming medicines in Tripura
Over 300 students in the Dharmanagar district of northern Tripura were hospitalised on Wednesday after consuming medicines prescribed to them by the local school authorities.
Dharmanagar: Over 300 students in the Dharmanagar district of northern Tripura were hospitalised on Wednesday after consuming medicines prescribed to them by the local school authorities.
According to reports, the school, along with staff of the health department, had distributed intestinal worm medicines among students of several schools in the area. Soon after consuming the medicines, several students complained of severe chest pain and breathing problems.
The children, who range from Grade V to IX, have been shifted to the district hospital. Doctors, nurses and para-medical staff` have been called in from
Immediately they were shifted to Dharmanagar district divisional hospital and till now more than 300 students from standard five to nine have been admitted and more are coming.
Many students are lying in the floor and additional team of doctors, nurses and para-medical staff has been called from Kailashahar town and Agartala.
District Magistrate Sandip R Rathore, who is monitoring the situation along with sub-divisional magistrate Sankar Debnath and Superintendent of Police Abhijit Saptarshi, stated that all possible reasons for the allergic reactions to the medicines are being ascertained, adding that additional medical teams have been brought in to help with the incident.
The de-worming tablets were given as part of the National De-worming initiative to make a `Worm-free` India.
Earlier this month, Union Health Minister JP Nadda had declared February 10 as the National De-worming Day, calling for all children to be protected from intestinal worms.