Over 900 infiltrators held in Meghalaya
Shillong: Over 900 infiltrators were
apprehended along the Indo-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya this
year till June, against over 2,000 last year.
"Till June, about 939 infiltrators were apprehended on
the Indo-Bangladesh border while the figure for 2009 was
2,460," an official statement said here today.
It said the declining figures followed the Centre
adopting a multi-pronged approach to contain cross-border
infiltration which included surveillance and patrol of the
Amongst other measures were establishment of observation
posts, construction of border fencing and flood lighting,
introduction of modern and hi-tech surveillance equipment,
upgradation of intelligence set up and coordination with state
governments and intelligence agencies, it said.
On militancy, the statement said, during 2010, about 121
violent incidents occurred in Assam against 263 in 2009.
In Manipur, violent incidents triggered by militant
groups numbered 183 this year against 362 in 2009.
Two security personnel were killed till June in Assam as
against 20 in 2009. Two security personnel were also killed
in Manipur till June, as against 7 in 2009.
There were 23 civilian casualties in Assam during this
year so far against 99 in 2009. There were 16 casualties in
Manipur against 51 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology