Over 900 infiltrators held in Meghalaya
Shillong: Over 900 infiltrators were
apprehended along the Indo-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya this
year till June, against over 2,000 last year.
"Till June, about 939 infiltrators were apprehended on
the Indo-Bangladesh border while the figure for 2009 was
2,460," an official statement said here today.
It said the declining figures followed the Centre
adopting a multi-pronged approach to contain cross-border
infiltration which included surveillance and patrol of the
Amongst other measures were establishment of observation
posts, construction of border fencing and flood lighting,
introduction of modern and hi-tech surveillance equipment,
upgradation of intelligence set up and coordination with state
governments and intelligence agencies, it said.
On militancy, the statement said, during 2010, about 121
violent incidents occurred in Assam against 263 in 2009.
In Manipur, violent incidents triggered by militant
groups numbered 183 this year against 362 in 2009.
Two security personnel were killed till June in Assam as
against 20 in 2009. Two security personnel were also killed
in Manipur till June, as against 7 in 2009.
There were 23 civilian casualties in Assam during this
year so far against 99 in 2009. There were 16 casualties in
Manipur against 51 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Lok Sabha passes child labour Bill despite opposition from children's rights activists
- India unlikely to get Kohinoor diamond back, hints UK minister
- Narshingh Yadav doping scandal: ‘Intruder’ who may have spiked wrestler's food identified?
- IMF says Egypt seeking financial support
- Pacer Kagiso Rabada scoops six South African awards