Over 900 infiltrators held in Meghalaya
Shillong: Over 900 infiltrators were
apprehended along the Indo-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya this
year till June, against over 2,000 last year.
"Till June, about 939 infiltrators were apprehended on
the Indo-Bangladesh border while the figure for 2009 was
2,460," an official statement said here today.
It said the declining figures followed the Centre
adopting a multi-pronged approach to contain cross-border
infiltration which included surveillance and patrol of the
Amongst other measures were establishment of observation
posts, construction of border fencing and flood lighting,
introduction of modern and hi-tech surveillance equipment,
upgradation of intelligence set up and coordination with state
governments and intelligence agencies, it said.
On militancy, the statement said, during 2010, about 121
violent incidents occurred in Assam against 263 in 2009.
In Manipur, violent incidents triggered by militant
groups numbered 183 this year against 362 in 2009.
Two security personnel were killed till June in Assam as
against 20 in 2009. Two security personnel were also killed
in Manipur till June, as against 7 in 2009.
There were 23 civilian casualties in Assam during this
year so far against 99 in 2009. There were 16 casualties in
Manipur against 51 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH