Owner, pilot of ferry held; 1 more body recovered
Dhubri: The owner and pilot of the double- decker ferry that capsized on April 30 in the Bramhaputra river in Assam`s Dhubri district have been arrested as one more body was recovered on Tuesday.
Owner of the ferry Syed Ali Bepari, pilot Golabuddin, ticket checker Syed ur Rahman and helper Shah Alam Sheikh were arrested on the charge of plying the ferry after expiry of its licence, Dhubri Additional Superintendent of Police Prashanta Dutta told PTI.
The four were arrested yesterday, he said.
Meanwhile, with search continuing since the mishap, one more body was fished out today, taking the official count of bodies recovered so far to 40.
The body was found from Patakata, downstream from the accident site, and close to Indo-Bangladesh border, Dutta said.
He said the search by the Army, NDRF and BSF would continue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH