Owner, pilot of ferry held; 1 more body recovered
Dhubri: The owner and pilot of the double- decker ferry that capsized on April 30 in the Bramhaputra river in Assam`s Dhubri district have been arrested as one more body was recovered on Tuesday.
Owner of the ferry Syed Ali Bepari, pilot Golabuddin, ticket checker Syed ur Rahman and helper Shah Alam Sheikh were arrested on the charge of plying the ferry after expiry of its licence, Dhubri Additional Superintendent of Police Prashanta Dutta told PTI.
The four were arrested yesterday, he said.
Meanwhile, with search continuing since the mishap, one more body was fished out today, taking the official count of bodies recovered so far to 40.
The body was found from Patakata, downstream from the accident site, and close to Indo-Bangladesh border, Dutta said.
He said the search by the Army, NDRF and BSF would continue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking
- Multiple deaths reported in Munich shopping centre shooting, police operation underway
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg seals deal as Lewis Hamilton crashes out in Friday Practice
- Tour de France: Chris Froome extends lead despite crash as Romain Bardet wins stage