‘PA Sangma can`t behave like a rogue element’
New Delhi: In a scathing attack on Presidential candidate P A Sangma, Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma today questioned his claim of representing the tribals in the Presidential poll saying the former Lok Sabha Speaker "can`t behave like a rogue element".
Mukul, a fellow Garo tribal from the same Garo Hills district, said the President represents the whole country and not a particular state, community or religion.
"India stands as a viable country. Our country is not governed by individuals, community or religion. If the country is to be divided on the line of community and religion, there would be chaos everywhere", he said addressing the `meet the press` programme of the Press Club of India here.
Questioning P A Sangma`s claim that he was fighting the Presidential poll as a representative of the tribals, the Chief Minister said, Sangma could have done lots of things to make a difference to the lives of the tribals had he wished as he had occupied several key Constitutional posts in his long political career.
"Forget about the country or the state (Meghalaya). I welcome you all to visit his constituency (Tura) from where he got elected (to Lok Sabha) nine times, the kind of development he brought... Forget about the constituency, visit his village and see how much development he has brought there. He can`t behave like a rogue element," Mukul said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’