PA Sangma files papers from Tura
Shillong: National People`s Party president Purno A Sangma on Friday formally re-entered active politics when he filed his nomination papers for Tura parliamentary constituency in Meghalaya from where he had been an MP for over four decades.
Sangma, who came on a wheel chair due to a fall last week, was accompanied by his daughter, former Union Minister of state Agatha Sangma and son James K Sangma who is also the party spokesperson in the state and other party workers.
He filed his papers before Pravin Bakshi, the returning officer for Tura seat.
Sangma returned to active politics at the national level after a gap of six years when he contested the assembly elections in Meghalaya in 2008.
The Congress candidate, Daryl Momin, also filed his papers making a bid at entering electoral politics for the first time in his life.
Momin is mentored by Chief Minister Mukul Sangma himself to take on the NPP president head on in the Garo Hills region.
Meanwhile, sitting MP from Shillong parliamentary constituency and Congress nominee Vincent H Pala also filed his nomination papers to contest the April 9 Lok Sabha elections along with three other candidates who had filed their papers for the Shillong seat.
The BJP candidate Shibun Lyngdoh also filed his nomination papers on Friday, the fourth candidate in the fray for Shillong seat.
United Democratic Party candidate Paul Lyngdoh and Aam Admi Party candidate A Kharshiing have already filed their papers earlier.
Pala was accompanied by Congress chief in Meghalaya D D Lapang, Transport Minister H D R Lyngdoh and party workers as he filed his papers at the office of Sanjay Goyal, the returning officer for Shillong seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3