PA Sangma files papers from Tura
Shillong: National People`s Party president Purno A Sangma on Friday formally re-entered active politics when he filed his nomination papers for Tura parliamentary constituency in Meghalaya from where he had been an MP for over four decades.
Sangma, who came on a wheel chair due to a fall last week, was accompanied by his daughter, former Union Minister of state Agatha Sangma and son James K Sangma who is also the party spokesperson in the state and other party workers.
He filed his papers before Pravin Bakshi, the returning officer for Tura seat.
Sangma returned to active politics at the national level after a gap of six years when he contested the assembly elections in Meghalaya in 2008.
The Congress candidate, Daryl Momin, also filed his papers making a bid at entering electoral politics for the first time in his life.
Momin is mentored by Chief Minister Mukul Sangma himself to take on the NPP president head on in the Garo Hills region.
Meanwhile, sitting MP from Shillong parliamentary constituency and Congress nominee Vincent H Pala also filed his nomination papers to contest the April 9 Lok Sabha elections along with three other candidates who had filed their papers for the Shillong seat.
The BJP candidate Shibun Lyngdoh also filed his nomination papers on Friday, the fourth candidate in the fray for Shillong seat.
United Democratic Party candidate Paul Lyngdoh and Aam Admi Party candidate A Kharshiing have already filed their papers earlier.
Pala was accompanied by Congress chief in Meghalaya D D Lapang, Transport Minister H D R Lyngdoh and party workers as he filed his papers at the office of Sanjay Goyal, the returning officer for Shillong seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla