Pandemonium in Assam assembly
Guwahati: Pandemonium prevailed in the
opening day of the budget session of Assam assembly on Thursday and
governor Janaki Ballav Patnaik`s customary address was
disrupted with the entire opposition protesting against the
mention of D (doubtful) voters in his speech.
As the governor read out his address, the opposition
All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF), Asom Gana Parishad
(AGP) and BJP members objected to the mention of `D` voters
in the speech.
Sirajuddin Ajmal (AIUDF), Phani Bhusan Choudhury and
Pradip Hazarika (AGP) supported by the opposition MLAs alleged
that the government had failed to address the issue as a
result of which "genuine" citizens were deprived from voting.
The governor had said that the matter of `D`-voters
was of "concern" as a large number of them have been found to
be "genuine Indians subsequently".
"Steps will be taken to ensure that genuine Indians
who have been identified as D-voters are allowed to exercise
all their rights as such citizens, including their right to
vote", he said.
With speaker Pranab Gogoi trying to disuade the
opposition members from disrupting the governor`s speech, the
ruckus continued forcing the house to take the address as
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch