Paresh Barua not opposed to talks: Intellectuals
Guwahati: Intellectuals from Assam Sunday
formed a committee to facilitate talks between the Centre and
the ULFA and said the group`s military chief Paresh Barua was
not opposed to talks.
"The intellectuals have taken the initiative to form
the committee after Paresh Barua has assured us that he has no
objection to talks and wants a respectable solution to Assam`s
problems," said Sahitya Akademi litterateur Hiren Gohain,
chief of the 11-member committee.
The committee had been formed to create a conducive
atmosphere for talks and help restore peace in the state, he
"There is also no difference of opinion between Barua
and jailed ULFA leaders, including its `chairman` Arabinda
Rajkhowa for a negotiated solution to Assam`s problems,"
The committee comprises noted litterateur Indira
Goswami, former Peoples Consultative Group (PCG) members
Lachit Bordoloi and Dilip Patgiri and Sahitya Akademi award
winner author Harekrishna Deka among others.
The PCG was formed by the ULFA in 2005 to facilitate
talks for a negotiated settlement with the Centre but later
its members resigned as the process did not progress further
after two rounds of talks with the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!