Paresh Barua not opposed to talks: Intellectuals
Guwahati: Intellectuals from Assam Sunday
formed a committee to facilitate talks between the Centre and
the ULFA and said the group`s military chief Paresh Barua was
not opposed to talks.
"The intellectuals have taken the initiative to form
the committee after Paresh Barua has assured us that he has no
objection to talks and wants a respectable solution to Assam`s
problems," said Sahitya Akademi litterateur Hiren Gohain,
chief of the 11-member committee.
The committee had been formed to create a conducive
atmosphere for talks and help restore peace in the state, he
"There is also no difference of opinion between Barua
and jailed ULFA leaders, including its `chairman` Arabinda
Rajkhowa for a negotiated solution to Assam`s problems,"
The committee comprises noted litterateur Indira
Goswami, former Peoples Consultative Group (PCG) members
Lachit Bordoloi and Dilip Patgiri and Sahitya Akademi award
winner author Harekrishna Deka among others.
The PCG was formed by the ULFA in 2005 to facilitate
talks for a negotiated settlement with the Centre but later
its members resigned as the process did not progress further
after two rounds of talks with the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17