Paresh Baruah should be roped in for talks: Chidambaram
Guwahati: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram
on Friday said that anti-talk faction of the ULFA led by its
`military chief` Paresh Baruah should be roped in for
"Paresh Baruah is neither in Bangladesh nor Myanmar
and we in the government seriously do not know where he is.
But he should be in the (peace) process," he told reporters at
the state Congress headquarters here.
"I urge the people of Assam to vote for peace as the
peace process initiated by the Congress government of Tarun
Gogoi has yielded positive results," he said.
The home minister claimed that there had been a
dramatic turnaround in the law-and-order situation in Assam
and almost every insurgent faction is in the negotiation mode.
"This is encouraging and the peace process should not
"The greatest satisfaction is that there has been a
decline in violence of late," he said, adding that the ULFA
pro-talk faction under the group`s `chairman` Arabinda
Rajkhowa has already held a preliminary round of talks with
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Complimenting the government for all round development
in the state, he said that during the erstwhile AGP regime the
exchequer was nil.
"The state has made substantial gains in terms of
financial development and the state government employees are
getting salaries on time... Assam is on the development path
and is the fastest growing state in the country. I
congratulate the Tarun Gogoi government for this," he said.
The party hoped to emerge as the single largest
majority party in Assam and form the next government, he said.
On the issue of corruption raised by Opposition
BJP and AGP, he said in the event of Congress returning to
power it would ask CBI to probe all financial scandals of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price