Party united, reshuffle has a purpose: Sangma
Shillong: Claiming that the Congress in
Meghalaya was united despite the rumblings, Chief Minister
Mukul Sangma on Tuesday said the reshuffle in the cabinet effected
today had a "purpose".
"If the party is not united, the government would have
fallen by now," Sangma told reporters after the swearing-in of
four new ministers inducted by dropping four rebel Congress
He said the reshuffle had a "purpose" and that it was
needed to ensure that there is effective coherence in the
cabinet which will deliver in conformity with the aspirations
of the people.
He was obviously referring to the virtual
non-cooperation by at least four cabinet ministers due to
which, according to sources, the CM has been unable to hold a
cabinet meeting since March 28.
"Today if we compare Meghalaya with other states, we
are very backward. We are centuries behind. It (reshuffle) was
very important for acceleration of development," Sangma said.
He said that he has been informing the party high
command of the developments.
Asked if the four dropped ministers do not resign,
Sangma said, "If they do not resign, it is called withdrawal
of pleasure from the council of ministers. In other words we
call it dropped".
Sangma was facing a revolt from 15 of the total 28
Congress legislators who were unhappy at his "autocratic way
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!