PC appeals to Manipur groups to withdraw blockade
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram on Monday
appealed to the agitating groups in Manipur to withdraw their
over three-month-old blockade of national highways and assured
action on the report of the District Reorganisation Commission
"My appeal to all groups, especially the Kuki groups and
other groups agitating for a separate district to be curved
out of Jiribam, that they should suspend their agitation and
allow the DRC to look into the matter and give its report," he
told reporters here.
Chidambaram assured all groups that the Central
government would certainly urge the Manipur government to act
on the report of the DRC, once it is made available.
The home minister said the blockade on national Highway
37 has entered the 92nd day today and Chief Minister O Ibobi
Singh has appointed the DRC and has requested both Kukis, who
want a separate district for Sadar Hills, and the Meiti
groups, who want a separate district out of Jiribam, that they
should wait for the DRC`s report.
Chidambaram said both sides were unwilling to budge from
their positions and despite the blockade, the government of
Manipur with the assistance of the Centre, has been able to
ply on an average 1,100 trucks with supplies every week to
"So, supplies are available in the valley except that
prices are high... The peculiar feature of this blockade is
although the valley, specially Imphal is affected, there are
no protests in Imphal as such," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery