PC discusses with Naga CM on separate state demand
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram on Monday discussed with Nagaland Chief Minister Nephiu Rio here on the demand for a separate state `Frontier Nagaland` comprising four border districts of the state by Eastern Nagaland People`s Organisation (ENPO) but said it was not viable.
"It was a very frank and constructive discussion. The Union Home Minister said a separate state is not viable but he is sympathetic for the speedy development of Eastern Nagaland," Nagaland Home Minister Imkong Imchen told PTI.
Earlier, Chidambaram had invited the Chief Minister as well as leaders of ENPO to discuss the separate statehood demand.
Imkong, along with other senior Ministers from eastern part of Nagaland, accompanied the Chief Minister to the meeting.
Imkong said Chidambaram has supported the idea of creating an autonomus council for the eastern Nagaland district for its speedy socio-economic development as suggested by Nagaland assembly.
ENPO, which has been demanding `Frontier Nagaland` with four border districts of Mon, Tuensang, Kiphire and Longleng, had reiterated its demand when Union Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh visited Mon last week where he met leaders of tribal councils, civil society organisations and civil administration and Assam Rifles officials.
ENPO had submitted a memorandum to the Prime Minister in 2010 in support of its demand, saying only a separate state for six tribes, inhabiting the frontier areas, would bring about socio-economic development in the border region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh