PC discusses with Naga CM on separate state demand
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram on Monday discussed with Nagaland Chief Minister Nephiu Rio here on the demand for a separate state `Frontier Nagaland` comprising four border districts of the state by Eastern Nagaland People`s Organisation (ENPO) but said it was not viable.
"It was a very frank and constructive discussion. The Union Home Minister said a separate state is not viable but he is sympathetic for the speedy development of Eastern Nagaland," Nagaland Home Minister Imkong Imchen told PTI.
Earlier, Chidambaram had invited the Chief Minister as well as leaders of ENPO to discuss the separate statehood demand.
Imkong, along with other senior Ministers from eastern part of Nagaland, accompanied the Chief Minister to the meeting.
Imkong said Chidambaram has supported the idea of creating an autonomus council for the eastern Nagaland district for its speedy socio-economic development as suggested by Nagaland assembly.
ENPO, which has been demanding `Frontier Nagaland` with four border districts of Mon, Tuensang, Kiphire and Longleng, had reiterated its demand when Union Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh visited Mon last week where he met leaders of tribal councils, civil society organisations and civil administration and Assam Rifles officials.
ENPO had submitted a memorandum to the Prime Minister in 2010 in support of its demand, saying only a separate state for six tribes, inhabiting the frontier areas, would bring about socio-economic development in the border region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof