Peace talks a political gimmick: Mahanta
Guwahati: Rejecting Assam Government`s peace process with ULFA, Leader of Opposition Prafulla Mahanta on Thursday said the exercise will be futile without the presence of the outfit`s elusive chief Paresh Baruah.
"The recent offer by the government for talks is only a political gimmick and unless Paresh Baruah, known for his anti-talk stance is not included, the process will be futile,"
Mahanta, also a two time chief minister, told reporters here.
A change in the political leadership in Bangladesh, where the top ULFA leaders were taking refuge, paved the way for talks with most of the ultras arrested and released on
"But there is no point in talking to different groups at the same time. The entire top leadership of ULFA have to be included in the talk process including Paresh Baruah," he
Baruah remains the only top and influential leader who is still underground as the other prominent ULFA ultras, including its `chairman` Arabindo Rajkhowa have been arrested
and released on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened