Peace talks a political gimmick: Mahanta
Guwahati: Rejecting Assam Government`s peace process with ULFA, Leader of Opposition Prafulla Mahanta on Thursday said the exercise will be futile without the presence of the outfit`s elusive chief Paresh Baruah.
"The recent offer by the government for talks is only a political gimmick and unless Paresh Baruah, known for his anti-talk stance is not included, the process will be futile,"
Mahanta, also a two time chief minister, told reporters here.
A change in the political leadership in Bangladesh, where the top ULFA leaders were taking refuge, paved the way for talks with most of the ultras arrested and released on
"But there is no point in talking to different groups at the same time. The entire top leadership of ULFA have to be included in the talk process including Paresh Baruah," he
Baruah remains the only top and influential leader who is still underground as the other prominent ULFA ultras, including its `chairman` Arabindo Rajkhowa have been arrested
and released on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!