Peace talks a political gimmick: Mahanta
Guwahati: Rejecting Assam Government`s peace process with ULFA, Leader of Opposition Prafulla Mahanta on Thursday said the exercise will be futile without the presence of the outfit`s elusive chief Paresh Baruah.
"The recent offer by the government for talks is only a political gimmick and unless Paresh Baruah, known for his anti-talk stance is not included, the process will be futile,"
Mahanta, also a two time chief minister, told reporters here.
A change in the political leadership in Bangladesh, where the top ULFA leaders were taking refuge, paved the way for talks with most of the ultras arrested and released on
"But there is no point in talking to different groups at the same time. The entire top leadership of ULFA have to be included in the talk process including Paresh Baruah," he
Baruah remains the only top and influential leader who is still underground as the other prominent ULFA ultras, including its `chairman` Arabindo Rajkhowa have been arrested
and released on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL