Peace talks a political gimmick: Mahanta
Guwahati: Rejecting Assam Government`s peace process with ULFA, Leader of Opposition Prafulla Mahanta on Thursday said the exercise will be futile without the presence of the outfit`s elusive chief Paresh Baruah.
"The recent offer by the government for talks is only a political gimmick and unless Paresh Baruah, known for his anti-talk stance is not included, the process will be futile,"
Mahanta, also a two time chief minister, told reporters here.
A change in the political leadership in Bangladesh, where the top ULFA leaders were taking refuge, paved the way for talks with most of the ultras arrested and released on
"But there is no point in talking to different groups at the same time. The entire top leadership of ULFA have to be included in the talk process including Paresh Baruah," he
Baruah remains the only top and influential leader who is still underground as the other prominent ULFA ultras, including its `chairman` Arabindo Rajkhowa have been arrested
and released on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside