People`s Party of Arunachal opposes mega dams
Itanagar: Regional party, the People’s
Party of Arunachal, has opposed construction of mega dams in the state and demanded a white paper on hydro projects and dams.
"At this moment, we do not require large dams which
will displace many indigenous communities in the state. What
we require is only minor dams or run-off-the-river projects
which would have less human displacement and ecological
hazards," the party said.
"Our pristine ecology and rich biodiversity are also
our resources and we need to preserve it for our posterity,"
it said in a communiqué?.
The regional party demanded that the state government
scrap the memorandum of understandings and memorandum of
agreements inked with power developers and switch over to more
sustainable, ecological and cultural friendly projects
considering state’s future.
Citing that more than a hundred MoU/MoAs have been
signed with central public sector undertakings (CPSUs) and
`inexperienced` private power developers, the PPA claimed that
these agreements have been signed without prior information to
the would be affected people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'