People`s Party of Arunachal opposes mega dams
Itanagar: Regional party, the People’s
Party of Arunachal, has opposed construction of mega dams in the state and demanded a white paper on hydro projects and dams.
"At this moment, we do not require large dams which
will displace many indigenous communities in the state. What
we require is only minor dams or run-off-the-river projects
which would have less human displacement and ecological
hazards," the party said.
"Our pristine ecology and rich biodiversity are also
our resources and we need to preserve it for our posterity,"
it said in a communiqué?.
The regional party demanded that the state government
scrap the memorandum of understandings and memorandum of
agreements inked with power developers and switch over to more
sustainable, ecological and cultural friendly projects
considering state’s future.
Citing that more than a hundred MoU/MoAs have been
signed with central public sector undertakings (CPSUs) and
`inexperienced` private power developers, the PPA claimed that
these agreements have been signed without prior information to
the would be affected people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy